Municipal General Election

Policy making and legislative authority is vested in the Mayor and five Council Members. The term of each office is four years with elections staggered every two years. 

The City of Holly Springs is divided into five geographic wards, which are elected at-large by plurality vote. Candidates must reside in the ward in which they are seeking office when qualifying as a candidate. Each candidate is required to reside in such ward during the member’s period of services and continue to be registered and eligible to vote in municipal elections of the City. 

Candidates elected to office in the November election take office in the month of January of the following year and are sworn in at the first council meeting of the year.

For absentee mail-out, in person early voting and voter registration information call 770-479-0407.

On Election Day – voters will be required to vote at their Cherokee County polling locations.   For more information or to locate your polling place; or dates/times/locations for absentee and early voting – please call 770-479-0407; Email:  voterhelp@cherokeega.com; or visit their website:  http://voter.cherokeega.com.

Qualifying Dates/Times

The qualifying dates and fees are set by state law. The candidates are qualified by the City Clerk. The qualifying fee is 3% of the Mayor and Council's salaries, which is $360 and $180 respectively.


To Qualify for Candidacy:

To be eligible for office you must:

  • Be 21 years of age or older;
  • A citizen of the United States;
  • A registered voter in Cherokee County;
  • A resident of the City of Holly Springs;
  • Residing within the designated geographical boundaries for a period of a minimum of one year;
  • Have all public monies accounted for;
  • Never have been  convicted and sentenced for fraudulent violation of election laws, malfeasance in office, or  felony involving moral turpitude  or conviction of domestic violence under the laws of this State or any other      State of the United States, unless the candidate’s civil rights have been restored and at least ten years have elapsed, from the date of completion of  the sentence, without a subsequent  conviction of another felony involving moral  turpitude;
  • Pay the appropriate qualifying fee; file a pauper’s affidavit or qualify as a write-in candidate
  • Qualify to run in the Office of the City Clerk on the dates/times specified



If someone is considering seeking any of these positions, prior to soliciting campaign contributions they must file a “Declaration of Intention to Accept Campaign Contributions” and they may also file a “Registration form for a Campaign Committee other than Candidate”. There are also Campaign and Personal Financial Disclosures reports to complete. All campaign and financial reports are filed with the City Clerk.

You must file a Notice of Candidacy and Affidavit at the City Clerk's office during the designated qualifying dates and time.